As some questions (Rule for quotes, When giving IPA codes and a translation, which comes first ?, Do not use code blocks for quoting) and some chat conversations are dealing with particular typography and formatting issues, I think we have to set down a typography guide, e.g. like Wikipedia's one.
This should be a community wiki, dealing with aforementioned issues and some others, namely
- How do one format
- Foreign words/phrases/sentences (that is to say, in a language different from the surrounding Q/A/C)
- IPA transcriptions
- Emphasis in these various contexts
- Which kind of quotes could be used to preserve consistency and legibility
- Possibly style-related issues (passive/active personal/impersonal question/affirmation formulation of question's titles...)
- Any typographic or style -related issue that could confuse FLUsers
Note that I don't suggest a foolish consistency — which is the hobgoblin of little minds — enforcement sacred book but rather a guide to help potentially confused FLUsers (me included) keep a legible and consistent style.