Lifelong beginner in French.
I know there's some sort of topical pun on the masthead of Le Canard Enchainé, but I can never figure it out.
"Into the face of the young man ... there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to speak French."
New England, USA
Member for 8 years, 5 months
0 profile views
Last seen Jan 24 at 18:07
- English Language & Usage 63.7k 63.7k 1717 gold badges121121 silver badges236236 bronze badges
- Mathematics 7.7k 7.7k 22 gold badges2828 silver badges6262 bronze badges
- Linguistics 4.1k 4.1k 1717 silver badges3737 bronze badges
- Philosophy 3.1k 3.1k 11 gold badge1818 silver badges2929 bronze badges
- English Language Learners 1.8k 1.8k 1414 silver badges2525 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 608 How do you quote a passage that has used '[sic]' mistakenly?
- 217 What is a feminine version of 'guys'?
- 160 What is "ass door"?
- 125 What do you call a disk with a hole in the middle?
- 115 Is it true that English has no future tense?
- 93 Is there a saying or proverb for a situation where the weakest party will always lose?
- 90 Factorial and exponential dual identities
- View more network posts →